Monday, March 21, 2011
Ayam Masak Merah
This is another favourite in the household. Well, it's actually more of my favourite. Since it's my favourite, it has to become everyone's favourite, no? :P
I love having it with nasi tomato (tomato rice), nasi minyak and it is just as yummy when served with steamed rice.
Here's my version of ayam masak merah:
4 to 6 pieces of chicken - marinate with salt and tumeric powder for 30minutes
1 large red onion - sliced
2 pieces of star anise, 3 cardamoms, 3 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks
1 stalk of lemongrass - bruised and cut into two
4tbsps of blended red onions
2 tbsps of chilli paste - you can use instant chilli paste or blended from dried chillies
5cm ginger - grated
3 cloves of garlic - grated
1 tomato - cubed
3/4cup of tomato sauce
salt and sugar to taste
1. Fry the chicken till 2/3 cooked. Do not overfry. Set aside
2. Heat some oil
3. Sautee star anise, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon sticks together till fragrant
4. Add in the sliced onions and fry till the onions become translucent
5. Then add in the blended onions, chilli paste, grated ginger and grated garlic. Fry till fragrant.
6. Then add the lemongrass. Stir again for around 3 minutes.
7. Add the cubed tomatoes and let the tomatoes cooked for a while
8. Add in the tomato sauce, some salt and sugar (1 tsp) to taste. Stir again. Add water bit by bit till you get the consistency that you want cos' we don't want the sauce to become diluted.
9. Add the chicken pieces and coat with the sauce. Let it boil and then reduce heat to simmer for ~15minutes till sauce thickens.
10. Garnish with some peas and coriander leaves (I omitted the garnishing this time round)
Easy? :) Try it!